Saturday, December 20, 2008

Preview of Hammer Show

I have all of the work together for my show coming up at the Hammer Museum.

Here's a preview:This is a detail of an image whose frame is partially filled with dirt and glitter.


This one I took a meat cleaver to.

Since the installation at the Hammer deals with the text of a novella about a deteriorating family relationship , I tried to impose upon these images of an empty room something like a psychological wallpaper. I've been interested in how wallpaper is used to ascribe values to an environment in order to provided a daily reminder of class-specific values. I was trying to do something similar without using a repeating pattern, to give a sense of how the characters in my novella react within their space.

And then there's discomfort within fortunate circumstances:

This one is about 7 feet tall.

The second and third pictures are courtesy of the Hammer Museum and were taken by Brian Forrest.

The first picture comes courtesy of Circus Gallery.

No comments: